Tuesday, April 14, 2009



Yesterday Mark “The Bird” Fidrych was found dead at his home in Northborough, MA. Mark Fidrych, was an eccentric All-Star pitcher nicknamed "The Bird" whose career was shortened by injuries .He was found dead in an apparent accident at his farm. He was 54.

A family friend found Fidrych about 2:30 p.m. beneath a dump truck at his Northborough, Mass., farm. He appeared to be working on the truck.

The curly-haired right-hander was the American League Rookie of the Year in 1976 when he went 19-9 with a 2.34 ERA and 24 complete games. But injuries cut short his career, and he ended up spending only five seasons in the major leagues, all with the Detroit Tigers. He was 29-19 with a 3.10 ERA

Fidrych attempted a comeback in 1982 and 1983 in the Boston Red Sox organization. He pitched for their Triple A team in Pawtucket, R.I. But he never pitched in the majors after 1980 and retired in July 1983.

I am not a baseball fan but the reason this caught my interest is because he lived literally around the corner from our house. On my way home from work yesterday, as I passed his house I saw a Fox News Boston TV van outside, and there were many police cars in the entranceway. Now I know why. What a shame. It makes you realize that life is precious and can so easily be taken away from you. Make sure you embrace it to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment