Monday, April 6, 2009

A bunch of wimps


I have always hated professional soccer. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is that my dad and brother loved it, and the memories of my childhood are clouded by the Saturday routine of Grandstand all day followed by "Match of the Day" at night. I can even hear that terrible theme tune in my head “duh, duh, duh, duuuuuur, duruh duh dud duh”.

Another reason is, I always thought that soccer players were wimps ; the way they roll around on the pitch with tears in their eyes at the slightest knock is pretty pathetic (IMHO).

My opinion of them being a bunch of schoolboys was solidified today when I read in the BBC news that a referee ordered a penalty to be retaken in a Sunday league football game when an opposition player broke wind as the ball was kicked. The Chorlton Villa player got a yellow card for the noise which was classed as "ungentlemanly conduct". Good Grief, they’ll be chewing up little bits of paper and firing them at the opposition with a home-made sling-shot next!
Give me a rugby player any day…..




No comments:

Post a Comment