Friday, April 24, 2009

An American tradition




Here's a clue for an activity we did one evening on our vacation in Phoenix....

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

No prizes for guessing. We went to see the Arizona Diamondbacks (local baseball team) play against the Colorado Rockies at Chase Field in Phoenix. Now I am not a big baseball fan by any means, but I must say I was impressed with the stadium. New, clean and huge with a view so good I could easily see the ball, I could actually follow the game and even learnt the basic rules - believe me that is really quite an achievement for me!

It's the traditions that fascinate me. Whether you are a fan of the game or not, with the seventh innings stretch, the hotdogs and cries of "Hey! Beer here! Cotton Candy here! Lemonade, lemonade, just like your grandma made!", The wave, and the Chicken dance, you just gotta love the atmosphere.

Even though the home team lost 9-6, we thoroughly enjoyed our taste of the great American tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment