Saturday, June 20, 2009

A rant a day keeps the Prozac away...


I feel another rant coming on....

It was the last day of school yesterday. I spent an hour sorting through the piles of books and stationary that the kids bought home with them. At the start of every school year parents are presented with a huge list of school supplies that we must buy for the year. It includes things such as "6 composition books, set of 24 pencils, erasers, pencil sharpener, rulers, calculator, tissues, disinfecting wipes, glue sticks, markers, dry-erase markers, white board eraser, colored pencils...." the list is endless but this would be pretty typical. Throughout the year we are also asked to top up the supplies.

The thing I am annoyed about is the amount of waste! Nearly every one of the composition books were mostly unused apart from a handful of pages written on to ensure that we could not use them next year. There were 24 partly used pencils, 3 part used glue sticks....you get the picture. What a waste! When we were in school the school supplied the stationary-you got a new composition book when you'd completed every page of your old one (both sides). You got a new pencil when it was so small you had to hold it with tweezers...The schools nowadays can afford to be wasteful because they are not paying. What sort of message does this send to the kids?

OK, I'm done with my rant. Now I can get on and enjoy the brief burst of sunshine before the next downpour. Summer! Pah, call this a summer?! We've had so much rain I've had to buy a pair of wellies for my cats. I feel another rant coming on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment