Thursday, May 14, 2009

Conkers? Or just Bonkers?

From the BBC news this morning:


Many children are living in a "prison-like environment" surrounded by technology, the chairman of the Independent Schools Association warns. John Gibson says such experience does not prepare children for adult life.... Recent research suggests five to 16-year-olds are spending up to six hours a day online or watching television.

Mr Gibson, who is head of Stoke College in Suffolk, said "playing out" as a child and taking part in activities such as putting an oily chain back on a bike, or playing conkers, exposed children to emotions such as disappointment which would prepare them for adulthood.


I can honestly say that in all the difficult phases of my life I have never once thought, “Thank goodness I played conkers as a child, otherwise I would never have been able to get through this”. And I’m not sure why putting an oily chain on a bike exposes a child to disappointment; I guess Mr Gibson was not very adept at bike mechanics….

No comments:

Post a Comment