Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chips with everything


Whenever I visit the UK, I use my credit card to buy just about everything. Being a US credit card, it does not use the Chip and Pin system that is so common in the UK. You have to sign. I am used to the blank stares from the cashiers and waiters when they insert my credit card into their little box thingy, and it doesn't work. I am used to explaining that the US does not use chip and pin and therefore I need to sign instead. However on this visit I was actually told by one store that they could not accept my credit card because it did not have a pin. The store did not "have the equipment" to accept a card that required a signature. Is this the thin end of the wedge? In a couple of years time will I find that my Visa card is useless in the UK?

With the current state of the British economy, I'm surprised they could afford to be so picky...

No comments:

Post a Comment