Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Just doing my duty

I had to attend Jury Duty today, that was a barrel of laughs I can tell you. You need a degree in waiting.

I turned up at 7:30AM,  then waited in a room for an hour with 99 other suitably bored and tired members of the public, until 70 of us were shuffled into a court room. Then I waited while each potential juror was interviewed individually by the judge to determine whether they were to be selected as a member of the 12 person Jury. I had 60 people in front of me. It took hours. Sitting on a hard wooden bench that made me realize that my bum was not fat enough (this is a first), breathing in the rancid morning breath from the young guy sitting next to me who looked as if he'd rolled out of bed right into the courtroom...it was not a fun experience. And at the end of all that I was not selected.

I guess I have to take comfort in the quote from Norm Crosby (wasn't he on Cheers?) "When you go into court, you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty".

No comments:

Post a Comment