|8 oz (225g) (2 cups) self raising flour|
pinch of salt
4 oz (100g) (1 stick) butter
2 oz (50g) (1/4 cup) sugar
2 oz (50g) (1/3 cup) raisins
2 small eggs (or 1 medium egg plus 2 tablespoons of milk)
1. Mix flour and salt, and rub in butter until like breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in sugar and currants.
3. Add eggs and mix to a fairly stiff dough.
4. Roll out dough to approx 1/4 inch thickness (slightly thicker works well, too).
5. Use small/medium diameter pastry cutter to cut into rounds - don't forget to re-roll the trimmings!
6. Place rounds of dough on a moderately hot griddle for approximately 3 minutes each side - the heat of the griddle is critical so as not to over-brown the cakes! Experiment to find the correct heat.
7. Eat hot or cold - sprinkle with sugar or serve warm with a dollop of brandy cream!
8. Can be stored for a few days in an airtight container