Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ladies Night Out

Went to Bistro Limoncello in Northborough last night with some friends. This restaurant has been open for a couple of years, and has obviously been doing well because they have just expanded, doubling their previous  size. The decor is very warm and inviting. There is a small bar near the door but unfortunately it was swamped by people sitting eating at the bar, which was not an encouragement to sit and have a drink while waiting for the table. A lounge bar area would be a good addition.  Apparently that area is being changed in the next couple of weeks so we shall see if it improves.

The staff are extremely friendly and the owner makes sure his presence is known. I have to say, he did have something of the "Tony Soprano" about him.

The atmosphere was great, the company was wonderful, my biggest complaint was the quality of the food. Very average. One of our group had a medium rare steak that was still chewing the cud. It took ages before the waiter came back to our table so it could be taken away and cooked. I had salmon. I have never been to a restaurant that could mess up salmon but this one did. It was so overcooked it had the texture of an overdone pork chop and was drier than a popcorn fart. Not good. I suppose I could've complained but ultimately, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, I feel that if I complain then I spoil the atmosphere of the evening. But truthfully the food was more than disappointing.

So in summary, Bistro Limoncello has all the makings of a great night out, the setting, the decor, the atmosphere, the friendly staff. All they need now is a chef that can actually cook...

No comments:

Post a Comment